Wednesday, June 27, 2018

One More Try - new chicken nesting boxes

Well, we've got a couple of new nesting boxes made in hopes that the hens will not be able to reach their eggs. It's kind of hard to see, but those are paint roller pans in the boxes. The idea is that the hens will lay an egg, then the egg rolls down the slope to the tray. We'll see if the hens will use it! 




See! Under the board, there's an egg. Okay, this is a fake egg, just to make sure we got the measurements right and it will fit.




The hen is still setting on her golf balls and she was not thrilled with being moved out of the way for the boxes.


Chicken Hill


2 comments:

  1. I'm interested to see how this turns out. Personally, I was in favor of the "eat the culprit" option. Of course, when my hens hatch their own chicks, the young roos are all named 'Dinner' for obvious reasons. ;) A decade ago I'd never butchered my own chickens but with the help of youtube and some practice it's no longer such a chore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're having a hard time figuring out which is the culprit! The new nesting boxes have helped so far, but I've found we have a couple of very aggressive hens. I found one pulling on another hen's wattle, trying to pull her off the nest. The eggs don't always drop to the bottom immediately. We still had one eaten egg today.

      Delete